b. Indonesia, 1919 - d. 1996
PORTRAIT OF A YOUNG GIRL, 1976
Signed and dated 'Dullah 76' (lower right)
Oil on canvas laid on board
60cm x 50cm
Private collection, Penang; acquired through Christie's Singapore, 26 March 1995, lot 571.
ESTIMATE RM 12,000 - 18,000
PRICE REALISED RM 17,920
|A highly regarded master portrait painter, Dullah is represented here with a beautiful portrait illustration of young woman in a realist manner. The alluring young girl sits with her back to the viewer, positioned slightly to the left revealing her youthful features in side profile. She is dressed in white-patterned green dress, her long dark locks flows against her slender frame and a red blossom is neatly tucked on her hair.
The self-taught artist sought inspirations from the unlikeliest individuals, abstract artist Affandi and landscape painter S. Sudjojono. In 1949, Dullah led a group of young artists to illustrate battle scenes during the war of Indonesia’s independence against the Dutch. The works were exhibited at the Legermuseum in Holland and had gained great interests with the works documented in the book Karya dalam Peperangan dan Revolusi (1978). Dullah’s close affiliation with the first President of the Republic of Indonesia, President Soekarno since the early days of independence allowed him the privilege of looking after the President’s art collection and was appointed curator of the state’s painting collections. He often accompanied the President on his trips at home as well as abroad. Consequently, Dullah moved to his hometown Solo and settled there with his family and co-founded the Surakarta Cultural Association. He also spent most of his creative time in Bali together with a group of his pupils where he established his Realist Painting Workshop first in Ubud before settling in Pejeng. Dullah also established an art gallery in Mas where most of his works were on display for sale. At the age of 70, Dullah built his museum in Solo on his own without any financial support from the government or private institutions. This museum was dedicated to his everlasting love and passion for the arts.